[PD] Identifying the position of notes in an (audio) array

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Tue Oct 4 15:12:09 CEST 2005

hard off schrieb:
> [bonk~] detects sudden changes in frequency or amplitude or both...not
> sure,. but it is pretty good at finding beats and sounds
>
> if you have silence between your sounds, then you can use [env~] to
> get the amplitude, and just set it to bang when it goes above a
> threshold
>
> both of these solutions require that you playback your audio at least
> once to find the points where it is triggering sounds.

OK, I'll try these (I'd thought of them already, but as I mentioned, I'd
  like to have some hints before I go to the studio).

> then, you just attach a [timer] object to record how long each bang
> takes since the original bang, which you will trigger at the same time
> as starting to play the file.
>
> if your file is huge, and you don't have time to play it through once
> to find the sounds, then you can use tabread4~ to play it much faster
> than the original speed, and still hopefully be able to detect the
> points where the sound increases.
I didn't know that, nice to know. Am I right that you mean driving the
tabread4~ with a phasor~ that rises faster than 44100/sec?
OTOH: I can play back while still recording, isn't it? Then I'd have
just a small amount of latency.

> i would store the info from [timer] into an array, and then later you
> can just use [tabread] to trigger your sounds.
>
> good luck.
Thanks (for the wish and the ideas)
Urs

--