[PD] Fwd: PD crashes on launch + fullscreen workaround

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Oct 16 04:18:10 CEST 2005

On 10/14/05, simon wise <simonxwise at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I recently ran a Gem patch for a 2 week season of a show using pd
> 0.38 on a similar Minimac without problems.
>
> 0.39 (Pd-0.39test2-extended-RC0 from Hans, Gem 0.90, Macmini 1.42,
> 1GB ram, OSX 10.4.2) seems to be stable as well - but [pix_movie]
> seems broken - it plays a very zoomed-in version of quicktime movies
> (all codecs that I have tried), on both the Minimac and my much
> slower old Powerbook (OSX 10.4.2). [pix_film] works fine. The rest of
> the patch seems fine.

Is it zoomed in to the point that it is only one pixel?  That would
indicate using rectangle textures but feeding normalized 0..1 texture
coordinates.  There should not be any difference between the way
pix_movie and pix_film handle texture coordinates.

> [openpanel] also seems to stop responding occasionally, though only
> when I am testing things, never in performance - I think this is when
> I have a file open with [textfile], then try to open the same file
> again with [openpanel] - but I am trying to isolate the problem a bit
> better.

I get this as well on 10.4 and a message like 'bad directory " "' or the like.

> The Macmini has been a great (and not expensive) way to run
> projectors except for one big problem - I only have clumsy
> workarounds to get fullscreen images to the single main display.
> Today I discovered the best yet - but it is still a mess:
>
> OroborOSX has the option of "hide menu and dock" for a presentation
> mode, it also has the option to "interleave X11 and Aqua windows" so
> with Gem running fullscreen I switch to OroborOSX then use Expose
> (all windows) and pick the Gem window
>
> -Gem is now the frontmost window
> -OroborOSX remains in focus so there is no menu or dock visible (and
> pd does not put its other windows in front of the gem window)
> -and the gem window does not get moved down (exposing its titlebar)
> as usually happens when the other pd windows are hidden or the Gem
> window is the last Aqua window open.
>
> (all my control is via midi so I don't need pd in focus - but even
> using -nogui the terminal window stays in front of the Gem window and
> if that is hidden the Gem window is moved down to show its title bar).
>
> It is clumsy, but it works.

This has been addressed in CVS, and adds the ability to show and hide
the menubar and Dock.