[Fwd: Re: [PD] numberstream, parsing]

Matthijs van Henten cola at looze.net
Sun Oct 16 15:56:33 CEST 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Piotr, how do you mean with sending the data in OSC directly?
My main goal was to convert the number stream coming from the pic into
OSC anyways :)

The thing is: I get a stream of numbers. somehow I have to say: this
number is parameter 1, this number is parameter 2, etc.. I found
splitting the stream in pd quite cumbersome. I have to designate numbers
as control chars, so I can properly route the numbers etc. - it's like
rebuilding a complete terminal emulation in PD, and I havent found very
convenient ways of doing such, except using a lot of
trigger/spigot/retrigger etc. constructions. I haven't gotten them 100%
watertight anyways.

Until so far, I only had one 8 bit number that the pic could simply dump
on the comport. but now I have 4 10 bit numbers. To do proper debugging
I have written small routines to print all the numbers as nice ascii
strings of numbers. so when doing a 'cat /dev/ttyS0' you would read
something like::

1000	890	514	997

the comport object would interpret this as a huge list of numbers:

49
48
48
48
32

etc. etc. ( this is only the first number 1000 and a space)

anyways, your remark got me thinking since there's modules for python
and perl to talk OSC, and reading the comport is a trivial thing to do
as well ( I remember in perl I could do something like my string = 'cat
/dev/ttyS0')

Does anyone have  a better solution?

thanks for the hints already!