[PD] Pd packaging on osx was: Re: [PD-announce] [osx] pd++0.39-1Beta available

Lorenz Schori lorenz.schori at gmx.ch
Mon Oct 24 09:24:30 CEST 2005

hi hans & james, hi list

i appreciate the efforts you two do for packing pd for osx. pd-
extended really helped me to jump into pd a little while ago. however
allow me to give some comments:
1. the osx package is not the right place for externals. i suggest
using standard "Library/Application Support" directory.
2. it does not make much sense to distribute all externals together.
while it is okay for standard ones (the ones in the build system),
pdp, gem, flext and other complex packages will likely have to be
updated/changed in closer intervals.
i propose to just provide pd core with standard externals (identical
to millers distribution) + better tcl/tk, packing only externals and
tell the user to install those into the right place. then a simple
install script wrapping "defaults write" (as a suggested before)
would make sure that the path and lib settings in pd point to the
right place. i did not look into the documentation mechanism of pd,
so i think there will be the real problem of my approach.

comments welcome.

cheers
lorenz