[PD] [list]-abs

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Nov 2 11:14:26 CET 2005

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >list-abs
> >--------
> >
> >These are abstractions implementing common list operations. Included are in
> >alphabetical order:
> >
> >last-x.pd
> >
> >  get a list containing the last x atoms received.

Actually "last-x" is not following my naming convetion (yet). Maybe it
should be renamed to "list-lastx"? The same for "take-two".

> seems like you are using "-" as separator between "list" and the
> function-name.
>
> it would be very nice if this would be compatible with the "standard"
> list-objects.
> since there is no way to make an abstraction [list x] which behaves
> fundamentally different from [list y], i would suggest to alias the core
> functions to names without backslashes.
> (no matter whether the separator is "." or "-" or anything else _but_ space)

btw: I named my [list split] [list-splat] instead of [list-split] to
be prepared for such a change.

> this way we could have a consistant(ly named) set of objects operating
> on lists, no matter whether they are built-ins, external C-objects or
> abstractions.

I agree. Now is the time to do just that. [list] is such a powerful
object, it is getting an important role in all my patches (not just
the [list]-abs) at breakneck speed, so if we wait much longer, I will
need to do a hell of search-and-replacing. And a lot of others will
need to do that, too.

Btw. IOhannes: If you have some ideas for and want to add some
[list]-abs objects yourself, feel free to do so in CVS. And tell me,
so we don't do duplicate work. My [list] frenzy of the last couple of
days will have to come to a temporary halt for now anyways because of
Real-Life-issues.

Ciao