[PD] distorsion

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Nov 16 18:56:53 CET 2005

Hi Achim,

wollscheid wrote:
 > Hi list....
 > has anyone written (or knows where to find...) a patch that does
 > distorison and allows to vary its parameters?

Besides waveshaping / wavetable-lookup distortion, which provides the
closest resemblance to analog distortion and has been discusses here
already, there are also some other types. I would recommend trying out
the following LADSPA plugins to get an idea of the different sounds:

$ listplugins | grep dist
/usr/lib/ladspa/crossover_dist_1404.so:
         Crossover distortion (1404/crossoverDist)
         Foldover distortion (1213/foldover)
         Chebyshev distortion (1430/chebstortion)
         Pointer cast distortion (1910/pointerCastDistortion)

Google and perhaps the Music-DSP list could provide you with more
detailed information about each of the techniques. Personally, I use
[plugin~] and a combination of Crossover and Foldover distortion, but
this results in a huge DC offset that needs to be corrected (from the
Foldover plugin).

good luck,
d.

--