[PD] PD Documentation/Curriculum Meeting

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Nov 19 22:08:10 CET 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, B. Bogart wrote:
>
>> I will not be in the lab on that day, and somhow I think only You,
>> Miller and I would have access to it...
>> Patrick Pagano wrote:
>>> how about on the access grid instead?
>
> Right. The Access Grid is not particularly accessible. It's a high-tech
> high-cost solution reserved to some universities and some research
> centres.
>
> IRC, on the other hand, is a low-bandwidth protocol invented in 1988,
> standardized by IETF, and supported by hundreds of programs on many
> OSes
> and which can run on a 9600 bps modem if that's all one has.
>
> Text-based meetings also have several advantages over audio-based
> meetings, such that several conversations can happen at once and so
> it's
> easy to take your time saying something without disturbing anyone. With
> text, no-one is fighting for the microphone.

But that can also be a disadvantage.  It often becomes very hard to
follow a thread of discussion and it becomes fragmented.  Moderation is
often very helpful in meetings.  But I think for this purpose, an IRC
meeting will be OK.

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism."
                                                                   -
retired U.S. Army general, William Odom