[PD] OSC in pd canonical (was Re: Re: pure == slow, impure == fast ? was purepd)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 22 17:17:33 CET 2005

Also, while we are at it, [OSCroute], [sendOSC], and [dumpOSC] aren't
exactly the best names.  How about something like [OSCroute],
[OSCsend], and [OSCreceive].  Or they could be in a libdir and be
[osc/route], [osc/send], and [osc/receive], but maybe that's getting
ahead of myself ;)

That's the way I'd like to see objects named in the future, using
common names for common concepts, like send, receive, route, with the
namespace selecting which one you are using.  This is the way Java is,
for example, and it makes a lot of sense.  It makes the knowledge more
modular.  Once you know the Pd concept of send and receive, you can add
"pd", "net", "osc", or "~" depending on what you want to send and
receive.  For example:

[pd/send], [pd/receive]
[net/send], [net/receive]
[osc/send], [osc/receive]