[PD] concert setup question

João Miguel Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:06:29 CET 2005

Hello pders,

a friend of mine is making a concert next tuesday with a patch of mine (in
pd, instruments+live-electr) and some other max patches (buuh).
Only yesterday he told me the setup for the concert (even though I am
asking that for 2 weeks). I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience
with the following configuration:

- Mac G5 (I think with a Tiger inside)
- digidesign 002 firewire
- and PD?

The problem here is (as you might have understood from my last mails) that
the guy is not a pd-user (or max-user, or even a console user), and he's
the one who has to make the installation of pd. He has in his present
computer (not the concert computer) the official version with some exts
installed and running, and he can already work with the media/audio
settings menu (he can't do much more than that).
But it can be very complicated when somethings like pd -listaudiodev (or
any other parameters) must be done - not to mention fiddling with the
system itself. He is not a compiler, and it wasn't possible to make him -
in a console - go to the pd folder and type "pd -?". I guess that gives a
pretty clear image of what type of user. As I am a windows user and didn't
worked more as 10 min. on OsX (and have no computer I can borrow to try
out) I can't really help him as well.

As the guy is almost on the verge of a breakdown and we're 6000Km apart, I
am trying to predict all problems that can happen, or when we meet again
he's going to hurt me (half-kiding). Can anyone tell me what might be
necessary to tell him to do?

thanks, I hope

Joao

--