[PD] Re: GEM cvs compile

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Thu Dec 1 16:30:23 CET 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Brad Kligerman wrote:

> remove following files from the Gem-sources:
>   src/Manips/glsl_*.{cpp,h,o}
>   src/openGL/GEMglUniform*.{cpp,h,o}
> and recompile
>
> I did what you suggested and recompiled Gem successfully, -lib Gem
> loads and seems to work fine. Just one last question-- by having
> removed the above files, what functions in Gem am I sacrificing?

...you're only "sacrificing" bleeding-edge stuff that isn't quite
ready for primetime yet ;-)  Seriously, it should be well known that
compiling Gem from cvs head is going to have some rough edges,
because that's where the focus of development is...in this case,
these objects were only committed last week, and have already gone
thru a few iterations, with a few more likely to go...they work, but
only if you have the hardware and drivers to support
them...conversely, they are extremely undocumented, too...

...besides, they aren't likely to be the place you would start
learning to use Gem anyway...

james