[PD] [OT] OSC Message Sequencer release!

ix yaqtil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 14:29:13 CET 2005

> I just finished the second release of Canvas, so I thought I'd upload it
> to the mailing list for some feedback.

you should check out the new OpenSoundControl Drupal..i tried signing
up (to post about my OSC sequencer and a TCL implementation of
their protocol) but their system refuses to mail me a password...

> This time I compiled it for J2SE
> 1.4.2_10 so it should run on newer OS distributions.

i think i already asked this before but you should add instructions on
use for those of us not intimiately familiar with java's evil ways:

m canvas_0.3a # java canvas_0.3a.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: canvas_0/3a/jar

> Canvas is basically a piano-roll style OSC message sequencer.  It's
> written in Java, so it should run on any platform.  I had some
> difficulty getting precise timing, so it might gain or lose 20 ms in a
> bar.  It will probably improve by the next version, or I'll just switch
> to C ;)

i agree. i used to use PD, when i had a 32bit machine available, with
[pipe] which in theory gives 1.5ms resolution but its probably more
lke 3 ms by the time the appropriate location recieves it and slightly
higher if it has to go back over the network to another
app/machine..and lately using the [after] command in TCL which
_claims_ to have 1 ms resolution, but is proably not quite that
either. a nice standalon liblo-based daemon that just handles the
actual event scheduling is probably the way to go, and then editors
can connect to it via OSC..wanna write it? :)