[PD] dynamic stochastic synthesis in pd?

david golightly davigoli at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:25:13 CET 2005

Hi,

I often use the differential equations (Lorenz, Rossler, Henon, and Lyapunov
are my favorites) through [expr] or [expr~] rather than any externals - I
find it gives me more control over coefficients and granularity and a better
understanding of the dynamics involved as well.  Sometimes I use the output
directly, but most often I'll read several hundred thousand iterations into
a table and use the table in a number of ways, including using [tabread4~]
for interpolation.  <shameless self-promotion>My track "Lawrence Attracts"
on my website www.davidgolightly.net uses - you guessed it - the Lorenz
equations on several levels, for audio generation using FM synthesis (3
dimensions => 3 FM variables) and for parameter control and meta-control.
Fairly simple and straightforward, if you're interested I'll send you the
patch.  In another patch I have (inspired by GENDY), two equal-sized tables
store point value and duration, and a [vline~] object is used to construct
an audio signal from these two tables, looping through the table.  I vary
parameters to random-walk the points so that the sound slowly evolves over
time.  In my version, the perceived frequency of the signal varies with the
sum of the durations table, but it wouldn't be hard to modify it to vary the
pitch independently.</self-promotion>

Just sharing - hope you found that useful.

David

homepage:
http://www.davidgolightly.net