[PD] GEM dev distribution

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Dec 19 17:17:10 CET 2005

Hi Brad,

I've had very few problems compiling Gem on both my suse9 machines and
my debian machines. Actually I would not suggest suse9 as I'm switching
that machine to ubuntu anyhow.

The gem maintainer does use debian so that certainly makes things more
likely to work, and we both also use the nvidia binary drivers.

I had almost nothing but problems compiling frm 0.87 on redhat 6.2 back
in the day, and never bothered trying to get it to work.

I did manage to compile Gem on a fedora core2 machine at work, and that
did seem to work.

I would certainly suggest debian as a distro, though it may take some
getting used to...

.b.