[PD] set up for pd on linux?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Dec 31 09:04:05 CET 2005

Hallo,
jose manuel berenguer alarcon hat gesagt: // jose manuel berenguer alarcon wrote:

> I am considering the possibility of running some multichannel pd
> patches in some machine running some linux distribution. The patches
> would reach some complexity and address sound over 6 independent
> analogic audio lines. Could anybody give me some advise about which
> linux distribution and hardware setup (computer and sound card)
> should be needed for such a project?

If you just need 6 channel audio out, than most soundcards can do this
in these days of "surround sound". If you want good quality you may
want to buy something like the M-Audio Delta 1010(LT).  Many cards
based on that chipset (ICE1712/1724) are supported well by ALSA, they
have great sound quality and lots of channels. If you need more than
12 mono channels out, you will need to buy a RME card.

Regarding Linux: just install Demudi or Debian with the Demudi kernel.
I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu for your setup.

Ciao