[Pd] Other synthesis methods

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Mon Feb 27 11:31:51 CET 2006

Hello,

> waveform with the mouse, which I've found can make it a little less
> predictable.  But too much of that makes it inharmonic, and even so it
> still sounds very 80's.  I'd like the freedom to work in more
> sophisticated synthesis.

I don't think its the synthesis fault only. The absence of effects make
it flat sounding. So you should try some delays, which are cheap
cpu-wise or freeverb~ as reverb. Usually only one instance of freeverb
with some fx channels on your instruments so you can control
individually how much one instrument is send to reverb. So you can layer
the sounds in space like one instrument is totally sent to reverb so its
in the background, another one is half send and one is not sent to
reverb so it stays in the foreground.

 > I think all the filter objects have been designed with mathematics in
 > mind rather than sound.

Check out moog~ filter, its amazing, there is your Reactor, which sounds
good because Native Instruments made the choice combining several
modules into one so it sounds analogish, but with the right combination
of modules in PD you can create the same with more freedom. It can be
doubted that a Reactor oscillator is just a waveform generator without
additional tricks.

Cheers,

Malte
--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

Exibition Pixel & Korn
25.3.-2.4.2006 @ Linda, Hamburg, Germany

Elektronengehirn:
new release on CD compilation Linx Open Source Sound from Sheffield

more at blog 4, also available as rss feed:
http://java.block4.com/blog4/