[PD] linux bug - PD doesn't load properly on repeated starts

david golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 00:36:01 CET 2006

Strangely, killall is ineffective in killing pd:

david at ubuntu:~$ killall -v -9 pd
Killed pd(7612) with signal 9

david at ubuntu:~$ ps -e | grep pd
  132 ?        00:00:00 pdflush
  133 ?        00:00:00 pdflush
 7612 pts/0    00:00:00 pd <defunct>
 7613 pts/0    00:00:00 pd-gui <defunct>

And pd still won't start properly.

So... I've found a (sort of) workaround: unplug my usb-midi device.  Then pd
will again start normally.  (Although that last command still results in the
same output.)  However this isn't a good long-term solution: now I can't use
my midi device.  At all.  "amidi -l" doesn't list it any more.

Could it be a conflict between pd and hotplug, perhaps?  In any case, it
would be nice to get to the bottom of this....

Thanks again,

David