[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Mar 15 01:06:05 CET 2006

cdr wrote:

>>non-commercial use. "OSC" is there to avoid conflict with some other use
>>of the 0x7D message. Obviously if there was an "OSC" manufacturer ID it
>>would be shorter and simpler.
>>

>theres OSC Software which made Metro and Deck for Macintosh. i think they changed their name to Sagan Solutions now that its owned by Carl Sagan's son..
>

>>This could be useful as a way to extend OSC to microcontrollers that
>>don't have the resources to handle ethernet packets.
>>

>sure..if it works for you ;) there is a Drupal setup now for OSC

I think their OSC stands for Open Source Content, an OSC of a different
colour.
**

> perhaps there is someone who has already tunneled it thru MIDI, but if my experience with IP over LocalTalk (which is faster than MIDI i think) it is anything but fun..
>
>anyways theres childrens musicmaking toys on Amazon for $7.95 that have inbuilt ethernet ports for synching multiple toys, and id imagine USB is even cheaper still..

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of microcontrollers like the
PIC16F88, which are quite good at MIDI but don't have the RAM for
anything with a protocol stack like UDP or USB. USB would work if it
were possible to send UDP over USB, but I don't think it is, the way
IEEE1394 can be used instead of ethernet.
I've already used OSC on the Rabbit micros with no problems but they are
a lot more complex than PICs:
http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm3700/

Martin