[Pd] Stack Overflow

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Thu Mar 23 19:30:28 CET 2006

> I don't understand.  I've understood recursive to mean a function that
> calls itself within itself.  The output from my patch retriggers the
> patch, but to my understanding it should all be determinate; if Pd
> uses depth-first message passing, it should finish with one thread
> before calling the next.  The abstraction is only retriggered from its
> left outlet, so nothing should happen during the 10 ms delay.
>
> I'm also not sure how [until] will help.  Pd doesn't know how many
> scalars the score has, or how many are of any one structure.
>
> I'm still not clear on what "the stack" is or what makes it overflow.
> Thanks.

in pd every outlet call is a recursive function call ... if an message
goes back to the message signal flow, you have an iteration ...

i've attached a simple patch with a counter counting to 100 ... this
might show you the difference ...

hth ... tim

--
TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness
  Samuel Beckett