[PD] pd~conf 2.0

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 26 22:44:00 CEST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 1:55 PM, CK wrote:

> re hans,
>
> I read:
>> The problem in the U.S. is that there are very few grants for this
>> kind of thing, so it would probably be hard to get grants to fund
>> everyone's travel and hotels like the IEM folks did so amazingly.
>
> but it's relatively easy to ask various european embassies or cultural
> forums etc. to fund travel/accommodation/per diem expenses for invited
> speakers/artists.
>
> Probably the people would have to care for that themselves, using some
> sort of official invitation but it should at least work out for some.

That sounds like a workable thing, tho not ideal.  Which leads to the
question: is it worth having a pd~conf if we can't fund people to
come?  I can provide right now free space, theatre, 9-screen playpen,
and a little grant money, as well as housing for US$30-35 a night
(which is dirt cheap for NYC).  Maybe we could do a small one in
Brooklyn this August, then work towards the big one in Montreal next
year.

Maybe we could get the Austrian Cultural Forum involved, and bill it
as some kind of Austria-U.S. collaboration.  FYI: the ACF a New York-
based thing that is tied to the Austrian tourism board.  They seem to
have a lot of money.  Anyone know anyone there?

I just found out that City Tech, which is a university that is
literally across the street from Polytechnic, has a very nice theatre
which is available, maybe for free.  They have a Entertainment and
Theatre Tech dept. and that theatre is their lab.  But it'll be hard
to live up to the IEM sound cube.

____

publicity.

                       - Bill Moyers