[PD] can't use Pd-extended externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 31 07:51:07 CEST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Thomas Ouellet Fredericks wrote:

> At the end of this mail is an example of my .pdsettings
> My pd rests at /usr/lib/pd
> I use a Debian package of PD, and compile some stuff, but I pick
> in  your compiled pd-extended externals often. Congratulations on
> the great job.

Thanks, its actually the collected effort of many, many people.  I
guess I am the most visible since I most recently put a big chunk of
work in.

> I do not understand your loading of folders as libs (like toxy,
> cyclone, hid, etc..). Is this a kind of hack so that Pd searches
> those folders for the external?

Yeah, is a hack I call libdirs that I plan on developing further into
a generic library format for objects written in any language, C, C++,
Pd, C#, python, whatever.  This would be in conjunction with Thomas'
loader extension and things like the Common Language Runtime API for
Pd that was recently announced.

Here is some documentation about the idea and what's actually
implemented:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/Libdir

> Once Pd goes up a version I will switch to you pd-extended and try
> to help.

Excellent!  The more, the merrier :)

> Tom
>
> .pdsettings contents follows:

Cool, just what I needed to fix up the script.  Try this .pdsettings
file:

.hc

____