[PD] Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD

Peter Worth peterworth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:12:17 CEST 2006

> I'm working on a set of abstractions that will allow users to easily
> sequence rhythmic-pattern style music; basically, to make it easy to
> create IDM/electro/minimal-techno style stuff. Anyway, there's one major
> weakness to the whole project: PD oscillators don't sound good! Also, the
> filters I've tried don't sound very analog at all.

i'm skeptical about the concept of making idm etc easy to create. i've
always thought the point of his kind of music is to try out new
techniques and create new and original sounds. if its easy to do, and
a producer is just painting by numbers then the result is probably
going to be formulaic to say the least.

> 1. Does anyone have any good, "analog-sounding" oscillators already
> created? I guess I only need saw, PWM square, and triangle, but they need
> to sound GOOD (like Reaktor, basically). I see how to do simple versions
> from the example patches, but I don't know enough DSP to get rid of the
> digital sound. For a great example of the kind of sound I want, check out:
> Asynth vst from antti at smartelectronix.
> http://antti.smartelectronix.com/
>
> 2. What would be the most analog sounding filter to use?

as someone else said - an analog one. why fake it? its like
synthesising a violin. if you want a violin then get a real violin
because it will sound more like a violin..

i suppose cost is a reason to simulate an analog sound. hardware can
get quite pricey.

sorry, just realised i'm being very negative. i'll shut up now.