[PD] tunetof - an mtof for alternative tunings

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 23:50:52 CEST 2006

On 4/11/06, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Interesting.  I looked it over, I'm still not sure why note numbers
> > are necessary.
> > Although, if the base frequency and reference tone can be changed at
> > will, as in Scala's .seq format, that could get pretty deep.
>
> I used note numbers because basically [tunetof] is just dealing with
> scales, that have steps. Using note numbers makes it very easy to
> apply scale-oriented algorithms. And the analogy with mtof will make
> it easy for users without much experience in dealing with alternate
> tunings - like myself - to experiment using their mtof-knowledge and
> even the same patches.

Gotcha.  I was still thinking in terms of decimal note numbers, like
60.5, which wouldn't make sense with this.
Any compatibility between Scala and any other software is always good.

Lots of Western-centric musicians boast that the microtonality of more
primitive traditions could only have worked in single-line melody, and
that Western music, with its more sophisticated tonalities, made these
tunings obsolete.  I believe that, with computers, the harmonic
possibilities opened up by other tunings could dwarf those of 12-tET.
But obviously not with keyboards.

> So in general it is a very different approach from your JI sequencer.
>
> Ciao
> --
>  Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"