Subject [PD] Close this window?

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Apr 12 21:42:48 CEST 2006

Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> (Sorry IOhannes, missed the list on that one)
> Currently (at least on Mac OS X) Pd has no qualms about shutting down
> without question if the main window is closed, which seems a bit silly
> considering the proliferation of confirmation boxes elsewhere.  I've
> lost quite a bit of work this way, accidentally using command-q (quit)
> rather than command-w (close window).  I'm also in the questionable
> habit of using quit to bring up the save dialogue before quitting,
> which is fairly standard behavior in other applications.

In Miller's pd 0.39 test 7 the only way to quit without being asked to
save changes (except for crashing) is to hit the close box on the main
window with the mouse.
In pd.tk the line:
    wm protocol $name WM_DELETE_WINDOW [concat menu_close $name]
...is supposed to trap the window close box, if I understand it
correctly...for some reason it doesn't get the main window.
In g_editor.c:
void canvas_menuclose(t_canvas *x, t_floatarg fforce)
...is supposed to find all 'dirty' windows and ask the user if they want
them saved. This doesn't work with the main pd window. Perhaps someone
knows why...are patchers not in the same list as the main window?

Martin