[PD] multiio vs. arduino?

Davide Morelli info at davidemorelli.it
Wed Apr 19 18:11:39 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have both of them, but I haven't effectively used arduino yet..

> - ease of use (what's necessary to install, etc)

multio can be used on linux with [hid] but I prefer using the external I
wrote with mamalala: [multio], it runs on both linux and mac and windows, it
requires libusb to be compiled (and libusb-win32)

arduino needs to be "programmed" using a proprietary software (java-based)
that runs on mac and windows (and with some work should work on linux too).
you have to know how to write java code to use arduino.

> - number / compatibility of sensors

the multio highly outnumbers arduino in this
(arduino has 6 analog ins, multio has up to 88)

> - function in both windows and unix

see above

> - price

arduino is cheaper than multio

> - behaviour on pratical situations (performances, concerts,
> installations...)
>
> - and any other that you can think of.

arduino is nice because:
* it is cheap
* it is small
* once programmed it can work without a computer attached (for simple tasks)

multio is nice because:
* it is powerful
* doesn't need to be programmed
* it is extensible