[PD] PDDP meeting?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 25 18:07:20 CEST 2006

On Apr 23, 2006, at 7:14 PM, adam wrote:

> ..on Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:07:22PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>>
>> Installation manuals are the only thing that I can see that makes
>> sense with Pd.
>

> really? what about for exmplaining externals that the user hasnt
> installed yet

I am not opposed to things like PDB or ways of searching for existing
objects.  But if you are going to learn the object, functional
examples work best.  But a manual would not be a good way to search
for objects.

> (etc) and what about graphic design, i dont think its such a good
> idea to think
> design isnt important when assiting readability etc...i think there
> are a lot of cases for a manual :)

Yes, Pd could use some work on layout.  But with the [comment] and
canvas objects, you can do quite a bit.  I'd prefer to improve Pd's
layout that to make a separate manual.

.hc

> adam
>

> So this manual is a nice start.  But it would be nice
>> to have that documentation integrated into puredata.org rather than
>> somewhere else.
>

>> .hc
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:49 PM, adam wrote:
>>
>>> isnt it possible to do both (a book man and a patch man)? they can
>>> easily fit together and trade content...
>>>
>>> if anyone is interested in a traditional manual i have started a
>>> floss manual repository for collaborative dev of manuals. its not
>>> 'public' yet as i want to get
>>> some more manuals in there but its fully functional...
>>>
>>> the url is:
>>> http://www.flossmanuals.net
>>>
>>> an example of a 'finished' manual is the MuSE manual :
>>> http://www.flossmanuals.net/muse
>>>
>>> and the PD manual is coming along, i would like to get it to the
>>> level of the MuSE manual soon,  but i need to wrap it up in a nice
>>> skin and put a good index to
>>> it...you can for the meantime see the entire thing in one page:
>>> http://www.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/PureData/All?skin=basic
>>>
>>> the repository allows for output in many formats: PDF (autoindexed,
>>> linked etc), tar, zip, chaptered html, printable html, and single
>>> page html.
>>>
>>> there is also a shared image repository that can be contributed to
>>> and images can be edited,resized, etc through the default editor
>>>
>>> if anyone is interested i would like to suggest a collab manual
>>> development utilising this system alongside the (very nice) idea of
>>> a manual made of PD patches
>>>

>>> adam

>>> --
>>>

>>> Adam Hyde
>>> ~/.nl
>>>
>>> selected projects
>>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~adam
>>>
>>> the streaming suitcase
>>> http://www.streamingsuitcase.com
>>>
>>> r a d i o q u a l i a
>>> http://www.radioqualia.net
>>>
>>> Free as in 'media'
>>> email : adam at xs4all.nl
>>> mobile : + 31 6 186 75 356 (Netherlands mobile)

>> ___
>> ____
>>
>>                   ?El pueblo unido jam?s ser? vencido!
>>

> --
>

> Adam Hyde
> ~/.nl
>
> selected projects
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~adam
>
> the streaming suitcase
> http://www.streamingsuitcase.com
>
> r a d i o q u a l i a
> http://www.radioqualia.net
>
> Free as in 'media'
> email : adam at xs4all.nl
> mobile : + 31 6 186 75 356 (Netherlands mobile)

____

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.
                                             - General Smedley Butler