meta data WAS Re: [PD] Can't get any results from PDB

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 28 18:27:45 CEST 2006

On Apr 28, 2006, at 1:28 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> The name of the object should be taken from the help patch, not
>> from the
>
> the problem with this is, that sometimes the filename does not reflect
> the object name. (like "mtx_*~")
> btw, this is the same problem you run into with your
> "load_every_object.sh" script.
>
> furthermore it does not reflect the possibility of sharing help-
> patches
> between several objects (like [+] and [-])

In PDDP, every object will have its own patch with a simple clear
example for that specific object.  All of the shared help patches
that I have seen are not clear, and  I think its a bad design.  For
the shared concepts, an "about" patch can be made, and linked to/from
each help patch.

>> The meta data format is only parsed from the [pd META] subpatch.  The
>> meta type is the first part of the comment, its all caps, and its
>> terminated by a colon.
>>
>> KEYWORDS: addition sum
>> CATEGORY: math
>
> however, if we have an optional(!) field NAME the above problems could
> be solved to some extent.
>
>> important here, otherwise we have chaos.  But with CVS, that's not
>> too
>> hard to coordinate.
>
> one important thing i would like to remind you of is that the CVS does
> not necessarily host all pd-objects.
> i would very much like a system that is independent of the CVS, but
> could be fed by it (among other sources, like manual addition)

Of course, then we have to rely on communication and documentation...
scary thought.

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy
is related to the telescope."
                                                           -Edsger
Dykstra