[PD] shortcuts for patching

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Sat Jun 3 21:49:36 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner schrieb:

> I just saw this video, which might have been posted here before, it
> shows a bunch of layout shortcuts for Max/MSP.  I think that there is a
> lot that could be done to make patching much quicker and easier.
>
> http://www.studioimaginaire.com/nat/maxtoolbox/box2.mov
>
> I had one thought, which is making a snap-to-grid function when
> editing.  Maybe graphical editors have this, I think it would work well
> for Pd.  Ideally, it would be resizable and togglable via a preference,
> or even better, via Pd messages.
>
> One thing that I think would help a lot is making it so you could click
> and release an outlet, then click an inlet to make the connection,
> instead of having to drag.  Any other ideas?
>
> .hc

I would really appreciate the possibility to create an abstraction from
a subpatch.

I often start writing subpatches that later turn out to be better suited
as abstractions. Then I have to
- open the subpatch
- ctrl+A, ctrl+C
- ctrl+N
- ctrl+V
- ctrl+S
- create a new object in my patch (from the newly-saved abstraction)
- move all connections to the new object

Instead of this I would rather right-click on the subpatch, select "save
as abstraction" and pick a place and a name for the abstraction.
It could default to the name of the subpatch and the folder where the
parent patch is located (so that the abstraction is found).

Besides: snap-to-grid or auto-align functions would indeed be very nice.

Best
Urs

--
Urs Liska