[PD] (laptop) graphics hardware for GEM

c _ at whats-your.name
Tue Jun 6 07:29:47 CEST 2006

> I thought that "centrino" reffered to the level of on-chip processor cache

thats the difference between Celeron and Pentium

Centrino refers to the combination of an Intel cpu, and an Intel wireless card. Viiv refers to an Intel cpu and Intel video.

the Centrino platform goes thru revisions every 6 months or so. the current codenams is Napa, the last was Sonoma. the next one is Golan (which i find quite disrespectful to Syrians, but i digress,,)

Intel's wireless card is great, and along with the video card has excellent _open_ drivers for linux. ive got the s270, aka amd64+ati version of frank's notebook, and frankly it was prabobly the wrong choice. PD doesnt work natively, and the ATI video is beyond bad with X, despite it running circles around the intel in windows tests. once in a blue moon 3d accel will actually work. in XGL, using hardware accel causes a kernel panic, and using software rendering is much slower than no XGL at all. and theres visual artifacts in 2D mode when moving the pointer to the edge of the screen, not to mention various BadPixMap type of errors, none of these problems affect the reverse-engineered free drivers, but those don't support the VGA port or have 3D accel

in short. if you want performance and arent an open-source ideologist, get nvidia. if you want to sacrifice some performance for fully-supported free drivers, get Intel. and stay far away from ATI...

, and that is why centrino chips are cheaper then the other intel