[PD] pd~conf, Montreal or New York?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 16 18:48:20 CEST 2006

Its time to make the pd~conf decision so we can start working in
earnest, getting funds, setting up events, etc.  To me, it seems that
the Montreal crew is bigger and already organized, and in terms of
funding, Canada is the place to be these days.

In New York, we have the possibility of planning pd~conf back to back
with the NIME conference (http://nime.org ), which will be in NYC in
June 2007.  NIME is definitely an academic conference, but it covers
topics that are directly related to Pd, and many of the things
presented are built using Pd.  Here's a little sample from this year
(chime in if I forgot any):

- sCrAmBlEd?HaCkZ!, Sven König

- reacTable*, Sergi Jordà and Chris Brown

- ATT, Georg Holzmann

- chdh, Cyrille Henry and Nicolas Montgermont

- Transduction.2,  Marc Fournel

- Using the Touch Screen as a Controller for Portable Computer Music
Instruments
Günter Geiger

- Towards a catalog and software library of mapping methods
Hans-Christoph Steiner

- A framework for immersive spatial audio performance, Mike
Wozniewski, Zack Settel, Jeremy Cooperstock

- Screen-Based Musical Interfaces as Semiotic Machines, Thor
Magnusson and Enrike Hurtado

- Mary had a little scoreTable* or the reacTable* goes melodic, Sergi
Jorda, Marcos Alonso

For most Pd people, the NIME conference is probably not so relevant,
especially since its pretty expensive to attend, and mostly academic
in focus.  But for the academics who are involved in Pd, it is much
more likely that they can get funded to go to NIME than to go to Pd
conf.  So if Pd~conf is back-to-back with NIME, then people in that
situation can double up on one ticket.  Plus it gives us the
opportunity to enlarge the gathering of people in this realm, and get
other organizations in NYC involved to organize something of a mini-
festival.

So we should hash out these details.  If the NIME collaboration is
deemed fruitful, then NYC would the place, otherwise it seems to me
that Montreal is the choice.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli