[Pd] Complex audio signals

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:16:23 CEST 2006

On 6/22/06, Piotr Majdak <piotr at majdak.com> wrote:
> Hi Chuckk,
>
> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > To supply the missing imaginary part to a real signal.
>
> Call me a narrow thinking technician, but I still have no idea what "supply the
> missing part" is. Why do you miss it? Is it supposed to be there? I mean: that's
> the real signal. No imaginary part there. And now: you want to add an imaginary
> part to that. OK, so far. What model do you have? What are your expectations
> doing that? What are the properties of the signal you want to change? ....
>
> br, Piotr

Okay, sorry for my terminology.  I'm just curious whether it is
possible to take a real signal and create a complex signal with the
real signal as its real part, where the imaginary rotation implied by
the complex signal mirrors the imaginary sine and cosine of an
imaginary body whose rotation would create that real signal.  I was
told there is exactly one imaginary signal corresponding to any real
signal.  I couldn't make the Hilbert transform work right.  Maybe this
isn't of any use for any reason, but I'm curious how to do it.