[PD] state object

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 27 19:14:25 CEST 2006

Federico wrote:

>> The state object is deprecated, as most of its functionality has
>> been lost during time. There are other methods to do state saving like
>> qlist and arrays which are builtin in pd, or others using externals.
>
> unless pd will have a standardized way of doing this, I prefer doing:

there is a "init" option in most iemgui objects (like the slider you are
referring to) which will save the current state of the objects and
initialize it the next time you load the patch.

[...]

> however this can't be packed into an abstraction (only a subpatch will
> do), and not even into a GOP abstraction, because Vslider it's too narrow.

why does it not work with abstractions? i see zero reasons,

as for vslider being too narrow:
- you can make them fatter by just setting the width to something that
fits your need.
- you can use the iemgui's built-in send/receive-labels to "outsource"
the logic to somewhere else where you don't mind the object's size.

> not so nifty, but a GOP subpatch makes things more tidy (and heavy)

it is easy to save 1 state of your patch. it becomes really complex (and
nifty) when you want to save multiple states. use memento or something
for this.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes