[PD] ssh - leaving pd running

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 6 18:39:04 CEST 2006

Hallo,
dafydd hughes hat gesagt: // dafydd hughes wrote:

> Thanks for your responses.  I've decided to try screen first, as it
> seems simplest, and it seems to do what I need.
>
> I'm encountering some difficulties, though...
>
> >From an X11 on my laptop:
> ssh -Y to the linux desktop
>
> then:
> xterm
> screen
> qjackctl &
> pd &
>
> ctl-a d disconnects fine - I can close the xterm window within the ssh
> session.  However, pd stays active on the screen of my laptop.  I
> can't log out from the session without first stopping pd, nor can I
> exit X11 on the mac laptop without killing the programs I've started.
>
> Am I missing something important here?

Ah, okay, it seems I misunderstood slightly what you wanted to do.
What happened is this: ssh automatically does "X-Forwarding", which
means, that every *graphical* program you start on the remote machine
will show up its GUI on the local machine. As soon as you close the
local display (powering down the laptop etc.) you will loose access to
the GUI. This will most likely lead to bad results.

In your case I would recommend to use VNC like Jamie did. It's like
"screen" but for graphical programs. You need to start the server
(vncserver) on the remote machine, then you can connect to this
machine using the password you gave in the vncserver's configuration
file. Probably there also are ways to do this with ssh encryption. I
don't have any URLs at hand just google a bit.

Ciao