[Pd] OT- Multi-System Networking (was Re: [Pd] splitting Pd on two processors)

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 22:10:22 CEST 2006

On 7/6/06, sven <ml.sven at subscience.de> wrote:
> At 19:26 06.07.2006, you wrote:
> >So I traded that G3 for another from the stack.  Bits of plastic
> >missing, but it works and has more room on the drive.
> >I read online how one can network OSX and Windows with firewire...
> >they call it "IP over Firewire":
> >http://www.lifehacker.com/software/networking/geek-to-live-fast-one-wire-network-ip-over-firewire-173973.php
> >But it's mentioned as a way to transfer files.  Does anyone know if
> >this "network" method would work for running PD?  If so it seems like
> >it would be the perfect way, for its speed...
>
> it's just 'normal' ip, so everything that works over an ip network, also
> works over an ip-over-fw network (but only point-2-point)
> it's around 4 times as fast as 100mbit ethernet, but slower than 1gbit,
> so nowadays it isn't really of much use anymore when 1gbit is built-in
> in most new comps and the cards are cheap.

Interesting.  The literature I see says it is only really worth having
with dual processors, that anything less uses a fraction of the gbit
capacity.
I'm not dealing with new comps, I have a b&w G3 and a 2GHz Gateway
from '03.  I'll have to check if it's built-in on either, I'm guessing
no.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."