[PD] Abstractions from jmmmp

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 10 00:06:16 CEST 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:15 AM, João Miguel Pais wrote:

>>> Also, using [maxlib/scale] should help with that.
>>
>> I still would recommend to not use an external where an almost
>> trivial
>> abstraction can be used instead.
>
> as I said before to H-C, I don't find namespaces a very good
> sollution. it works perfectly with pd-ext, but not if someone has
> pd-core (where he can put the externals wherever he wants, as long
> as they're in path). I'll use the abstraction then. If you want,
> you can give a version with propper name-credit, so that noone
> thinks that I did it :). I guess it would be no problem to leave it
> in the middle of the "package", right?

No matter how you install externals, they need to be organized.  It
saves everyone a lot of time and effort if we all work together on a
single package.  This has worked wonders for Java, Perl, Python,
etc.  You could install just the bare language, but basically
everyone will want to use libraries.  So many libraries are included
in the core distribution.

Pd-extended is a big mess right now, that's for sure, but its a step
to making a good core package.  Previously it was a nightmare using
libraries because of the lack of a standard install layout.  Massive
amounts of time was wasted just dealing with installation issues.  If
you like dealing with installation issues, then don't let me stop
you.  But I would rather spend my time doing just about anything else
that needlessly dealing with installation issues.