Namespacing [was: Re: [PD] ERRORS IN Pd-0.39.2-extended-test4]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 18 09:27:10 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> Actually, the libdir stuff doesn't need to be a patch.  Its on my
> TODO list to make it a loader using the loader module functionality
> that Thomas added.  I guess I should bump it up on the TODO list...

My main problem is how help files are found with abstractions.
Normally it is enough to put a help file next to the abstraction like

$ ls
list-drip.pd
list-drip-help.pd

and all is fine, on right-click the correct help file is found.
However with directory namespace this layout is broken:

$ ls list/*
list:
drip.pd
drip-help.pd

It's not possible to find a help-file for [list/drip] this way,

Instead I need to use another "help" directory with another "list"
subdirctory and add that "help" dir to the help path.

So I need one "list"-directory with "drip-help.pd" in the help-path and
another "list"-directory with "drip.pd" in the Pd-path with plain Pd,
which is way more complicated that using filename prefixes.

If I understand correctly what the libdir patch does, it's basically
allowing help-files to live next to the original patch even with
directory prefixes. This is important functionality IMO.

Ciao