Namespacing [was: Re: [PD] ERRORS IN Pd-0.39.2-extended-test4]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 18 09:43:21 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >>Classname prefixes like "list-", "gem_", "cxc_", etc. are deprecated
> >>and ugly in my opinion.  Can we all agree on that at least?
>
> Hans, I agree that it is your opinion.
>
> >Not quite yet.
>
> More like: never.
>
> >But as soon as your libdir-patch is in main Pd, I would agree.
>
> Why?

See my other mail for my reasoning. I wouldn't deprecate
class-/filename prefixes or call them more ugly than directory
prefixes, but in general I don't care how prefixes are implemented or
used. My problem is with abstractions not being completely prepared
for directory prefixes in main Pd because of help-path issues.
Basically that's why I dropped the idea to use a directory prefix for
rradical two years ago, the remains are here:
http://footils.org/cms/show/22

However once the help-file issue is sorted out, using directories
makes installing and moving and deleting collections of externals and
abstractions much easier. You don't want list-abs? Just delete the
directory. You have your own "list/*" collection? Just rename mine to
"list-foobar" and use "list-foobar/drip". From a maintainer's point of
view directories have a lot of advantages. But they are nothing
special when it comes to resolving name clashes, because as I see it
they don't do much that wouldn't be possible with file- or classname
prefixes as well.

Ciao