[PD] $-Dollar sign variables instantiation

briencrean at eircom.net briencrean at eircom.net
Wed Jul 19 17:47:36 CEST 2006

Hi List,

This is my first question, I am a newbie. I apologise if this has been asked before I have tried to find the answer in the archive and documentation but to no avail.

I have attached a simple patch below in txt format. I dont understand why when using the 'symbol' object I can instantiate the $1 variable to a string and when I try the same with the $2 variable it says "error: $2: argument number out of range".

My hope is to use the $1 and $2 as part of a message for a read message for the 'soundfiler' object so that I can read multiple sound files into multiple tables using a text file (which will contain the sound file names and table name).

#N canvas 406 51 458 308 12;
#X msg 229 22 word2;
#X obj 98 176 print \$1;
#X msg 74 23 word;
#X obj 105 89 symbol \$1;
#X obj 235 87 symbol \$2;
#X msg 109 135 \$1;
#X msg 224 137 \$2;
#X obj 226 177 print \$2;
#X connect 0 0 4 0;
#X connect 2 0 3 0;
#X connect 3 0 5 0;
#X connect 4 0 6 0;
#X connect 5 0 1 0;
#X connect 6 0 7 0;

Thanks for your help

Brien

Find the home of your dreams with eircom net property
Sign up for email alerts now http://www.eircom.net/propertyalerts