[PD] Multiple (same) instances, and [sssad]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 9 17:35:43 CEST 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, geiger wrote:

> Yes, and I was against it because I am used to the ordering done in Pd.
> I think unless you make real user studies this is personal taste. (but
> then, who believes in user studies :)

You see, the ordering done in Pd was also chosen because it was someone's
personal taste. I don't see what's so inferior about my personal taste.

User studies... I'm a user, and I study myself, that's a user study.

About the "real" ones... it's easy to skew them; it doesn't have to be
intentional; one just has to be skilled, confident AND naïve. I mean:

Pick users that never use pd, ask them to do tasks that never happen in
real life, measure aspects that don't matter, but do so with everything in
milliseconds and millimetres, proper sampling, compute standard deviation,
compare to the bell curve, interpret hypotheses according to 95th centile,
and WOW, you now have a perfectly realised study revolving around wrong
assumptions.

(No statistics book will mention those wrong assumptions, because they are
domain-specific.)

(ever measured a programmer's productivity by counting written lines of
code? try measuring pd user productivity by counting how many objects
there are in their patches. that's a technique used in industry.)