[PD] Routing from tuner card into PD.

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Sun Aug 20 20:28:35 CEST 2006

Hi Roman,

Good news is that it looks like less and less of PDs problem, and more
and more alsa and/or the cheap onboard sound causing my problems.

For example:

Using gnomeradio I can listen to the radio on the tuner card. I can
control its volume using the "aux" capture channel. (The output of the
tuner card is connected to the "aux" on the sound board)

Using gnome "CD player" I can hear the music from the dvdrom (which is
connected to the "CD" input on the sound board, right next to where the
tuner is connected). I can hear the CD player sound through the cards's
line out, even when all "capture" channels are muted!!! The "cd" input
in the mixer does not seem to have any effect when playing an audio cd
in the dvdrom.

The kicker: I can't get gnusound or arecord to record anything on any
channel no matter what is marked as "capture" in the mixer. I can hear
the tuner output on "aux" but marking "aux" as "capture" and recording
gives me an empty sound-file.

Comments on your suggestions:
#1. you can use a different device for input than for output right?
directly in PD or in jack it seems.

#2. Yes I have a internal cable connecting the tuner to the sound-card.
and as you know I can't record on that channel, but I can hear what is
happening. FYI I can't record in gnomeradio either, just an empty
sound-file is what I get.

#3. hmmm mplayer for just audio sounds awkward, I was barely able to get
mplayer to access the tv video on these cards already. Looks like
mplayer does not play with radio tuners, just video tuners.

So any ALSA gurus out there have any ideas?

One thing I did notice is that when mixing with the OSS drivers I can
only choose one capture device, but the alsamixer allows me to choose
multiple capture devices. I'm thinking this is a feature not a hint.

Anyhow after more testing using OSS it seems to behave the same, the
only difference is that I can change the volume of the audiocd in dvdrom
playback, setting the "volume" capture device. I can't can't record the
sound I hear when I mark it for "capture".

I guess I'll google for these cards not recording properly....

time to upgrade to a new sound-card I guess, damn I'm running out of PCI
slots...

Thanks for your help.

.b.