[PD] Colored (fractal, 1/f^a) noise generator for PD

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 20 20:48:01 CEST 2006

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, alberto.zin at poste.it wrote:

> You are right. BTW, I already wrote an external for gaussian noise
> generation (it is an easy adaptation of the noise code + Box-Muller
> transform to make it gaussian - not distributed yet because I've to
> clean up the code, it is my first external ;-). But it did not change it
> very much :-( In addition it seems that using noise~ is still ok to have
> the desired slope in the spectrum...

Doesn't a Gaussian distribution have a spectrum proportional to its own
density? That is, exp(-s^2/var)/sqrt(2*pi*var). That means that in the dB
vs octave graph, it would appear as a quadratic instead of a straight
line, and this doesn't match any of the examples shown in the
Colors_of_noise article. Right?