[PD] Colored (fractal, 1/f^a) noise generator for PD (fwd)

jose manuel berenguer jmbeal at telefonica.net
Wed Aug 23 20:36:10 CEST 2006

hello. sorry for the delayed answer. i was away.

El 21/08/2006, a las 6:12, Mathieu Bouchard escribió:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, jose manuel berenguer wrote:
>
>> and this is the case of that noises. don't look at theoretical
>> spectra in frequency domain but signals in time domain ...
>
> If a signal is random then how can I expect any part of it to be
> similar to any other part of it?

similar doesn't mean equal...  a function is similar to any other
funtion when their points look similar. thy would be equal if their
points where equal.

a function is self-similar because the distribution of points of f(x)
at any scale remembers distribution of points of f(x) at any other
scale. don't see why a random signal can't be self-similar.  could
you guess the interval of a part of a white noise signal only by
knowing its points? at, say, [0, 1], it looks similar to what it
would be obtained at [0.5, 0.6]

> And then, if I look at more general tendencies using bigger signal
> blocks or averaging a lot of signal blocks together, how do I NOT
> approach a theoretical model from probability theory?

i'm very sorry and apologize for this statement : i wasn't correct
here... for theoretical i wanted mean you say  "expected" in another
email. we must, indeed,  approachbig and averaging theoretical models
with theoretical tools, probability theory or any other else.
actually, this misunderdstanding is due to my so bad knowledge of
English.

> And then, how can a mapping from two incompatible dimensions (watts
> vs seconds) be analysed with methods that were made for two
> dimensions of the same kind?

this is not a problem of fractals. it's moreover a problem arising
sometimes when some entity uses some fractal to model some phsysical
reality. fractals are mathematical objects, not physical ones.
mathematical approaches support infinity, physical ones don't. a
coast approaches some fractal at a rasonable set of scales, of
course, but there is a level of scales, little enough, in which the
coast doesen't approaches the fractal anymore.

this is the reason I do not use to enjoy "fractal music".

> I mean, you could measure the Hausdorff dimension of a signal by
> setting some kind of equivalence rule between watts and seconds
> (huh?) and then seeing the signal as a planar curve; but, by
> itself, the signal is not a planar curve.
>
>  _ _ __ ___ _____ ________ _____________ _____________________ ...
> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801 - http://artengine.ca/matju
> | Freelance Digital Arts Engineer, Montréal QC
> listinfo/pd-list

jose manuel berenguer
jmbeal at telefonica.net  +34932857046 +34696538403. http://
www.sonoscop.net/jmb/
jmberenguer at sonoscop.net +34933064128. http://www.sonoscop.net/
caos->sonoscop. cccb. montalegre, 5. 08001 barcelona
spain