[PD] OT: any advice on HP notebook for PD visuals?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 28 19:58:33 CEST 2006

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> Has anyone tried a benchmarking patch for Gem so we can compare these
> issues? I'm very curious about these intel gfx chips Frank and Marc have
> been talking about for years now.

For years?

Here are some benchmarks I googled up:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

If you want or need the top of the line 3D performance then avoid the
Intel chips. But you also should avoid the cheap ATi/Nvidia chips
then, like the Xpress 200M or stuff like that.

On my home machine I run AMD, but I'm recommending the Intel notebooks
over AMD based ones mostly because they I believe they are easier to
setup, have better battery live for comparable performance, wireless
works out of the box, BIOSses are often better and maybe some other reasons.

Of course everyone needs to do her/his own research especially in a
market that moves as fast as the laptop market. But the price
advantage AMD offers in this area is really marginal, so why bother?
Because of 64bit?

Ciao