[PD] [1/2 OT] Laptop audio interface choice under Linux

julien breval julienbreval at free.fr
Tue Aug 29 15:19:56 CEST 2006

Hello

I just want to be sure, that the RME Multiface type PCMCIA cards are still the
best choice under Linux. I want to buy a new laptop, running under either Linux
or OS X (I'm tired of the IRQ and ACPI problem on Windows XP), but don't know
which laptop/OS/interface combination will give the best performance (lowest
latency and constant reliability are the most important points for me).

As far as I know the IEEE1394 cards like the RME Fireface 400 are not supported
under Linux, while the PC Card 2 connector is progressively disappearing on new
laptops ... If you needed a new music laptop for live concerts with a MIDI
keyboard and Pure Data (used for example as a polyphonic sampler), what would
you choose ? I'm quite confused these days ...

Regards,
Julien