[PD] pd & alsa, midi & usb controller

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 29 16:48:29 CEST 2006

hi again,

on a related note to the last post, i am having
troubles getting my midi controller to work with pd
... i tried it along the lines described in an older
thread
(http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-10/031808.html),
but that doesn't work anymore; although the
prerequisites are pretty much the same ...

it does work when i start pd with -alsamidi -mididev
1,1 & and manually connect the in and outs of pd and
the midi controller via aconnect, but this is a rather
long-winded approach, isn't it?
how do the midi port numbers (aplaymidi -l) translate
to the device names in /dev/midi*? according to frank
barknecht, pd accesses these devices natively. but i
cannot figure out what does what.

The more i'm fiddling around with this, the more I get
the feeling that i'm lacking a basic understanding of
alsa and midi with alsa :-(

thank you very much for your help,
thoralf.