[PD] Operative systems and puredata

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 8 02:19:10 CEST 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, David Powers wrote:

> Yes, it's the fault of monopoly capitalism that this is so

Tell me who is approving this monopoly.
Tell me who is encouraging this monopoly.
Then tell me again whose fault it is.

> but this is hardly the fault of the average person,

The average person has no faults, if virtue is redefined as average.

> and OS elitism is not going to help or change things.

The majority is the elite. No matter how shielded I am from the influence
of Windows users, I still get pressured into switching to Windows. The OS
elitism of hardware manufacturers isn't going to help me get drivers for
Linux.

> I suggest, that developers ought to consider forming teams,

Developers already do that when there are enough of them. A common
obstacle is projects that don't have enough developers.

Another problem for non-Linux users is that people who care a lot about
PureData have a greater tendency to switch to Linux. BTW the upcoming
100-hour Pd workshop starts by 15 hours about installing and using Linux
on a Mac, and that decision is *NOT* coming from the techies.

> If it's not really viable to compile something for all systems, so be it
> - but I wonder if in many cases, it's more the case that Linux
> developers just don't care about the other OS's.

They don't have to care about the other OS's.
They don't have a duty to care about the other OS's.
Users of other OS's don't care much about the users of other OS's either.

> But, as is so typical in the Open Source world, there's almost no
> documentation.

Do you mean that you can't find the documentation that you're looking for,
and you are frustrated about it? How do you know it's not documented? What
are your needs in particular?

> When I try to open PD, nothing happens.
> If anybody knows how the stuff works, that would be very nice.

Have you tried reporting and explaining the problem to the authors?

Have you tried the chatline? join #pure:dyne on IRC.Goto10.ORG