[PD] dealing with large sound files

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:31:06 CEST 2006

Hi Nicholas~

You can try using readsf~ to open the files, if they are aiff or wav
format.  It reads from disk, so you don't have to worry about array
constraints.

Alternatively, if you like to compile, there are solutions for
modifying the size of the array maximum constraint, but you'll have to
search the list because I don't have time to dig it up for you right
now.

But if you are just playing the soundfiles linearly without much
random access (i.e. granular processes), you are best off using
readsf~.  To keep the sync tight, try loading all 16 on the same
machine, using a trigger object to launch all 16 different readsf~
objects simultaneously.  If this is too intensive for some reason, you
could split the work up over multiple computers and use
netsend/netrecieve objects to sync them up, but I don't know how tight
that will be.

I hope that helps, good luck!

~Kyle