[PD] Linux performance issues

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Sep 27 15:18:05 CEST 2006

The easiest solution to this problem, at least in my case, is to run PD
(and Jack, if used) as root. Other people have suggested to renice the
PD GUI process, which is the one causing the problem by interfering in
the DSP thread when extensive redrawing of the GUI is called upon (by
moving windows, or by GUI elements such as sliders, etc). Search the
archives for this thread. Or investigate Linux Security Mode (LSM)
kernel patches if you really have an aversion to running as root due to
security issues.

d.

c.m.bryan wrote:
>> > I have a similar (the same?) problem with pd 0.39-2 in xubuntu. When
>> > I move windows I get alot of audio dropouts (even in very simple
>> > patches). I don't get any xruns and the cpu load is ok.
>
> Yes, I should have mentioned that both of those are also ok with me.
>

>> > What I do get
>> > is alot of DIO errors. The audio works fine when i run GEM in
>> fullscreen.
>
> Ooh, haven't looked for those.
>

>> does upgrading your kernel to to 2.6.18 (optionally -rtN) help?
>
> The vanilla kernel that I patched is 2.6.18.  The default ubuntu
> kernel is 2.6.15.  I'm not sure what you mean by -rtN?  I run pd with
> -rt, should I be adding an integer, or are you talking about a kernel
> compilation option?  I turned on full pre-emption, of course.

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 43:
"Destroy nothing; Destroy the most important thing"