[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Oct 10 06:09:44 CEST 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 4:01 PM, carmen wrote:

>> It really depends what you want do do later? artist, teach,
>> economy. the  ITP has the best reputation in interaction art
>
> says who? ive been paying attentions to the projects coming out of
> there since i toured the place in 1997 considering going (that is,
> if i completed 4 years of undergrad work first, which i did 0.25).
> it looked like a bunch of wankery. the only thing that i even
> remember at this point was the multipoint touchscreen project. i'd
> suggest digging thru the PDFs of conferences like NIME, DAFx, AES,
> and see what schools they are coming from. several of them have
> already been mentinoed, but nowhere near all of them...

There is definitely a lot of wankery at ITP.  But I don't think there
isn't an interactive art program in the world that isn't dominated by
wankery.  Its more a question of the field of interactive arts/media
arts being full of a lot of wankery.  Therefore, it follows that
university programs in that field would also be full of wankery.

Grad school is nice because it sets lot of deadlines so you get lots
of work done. Plus you get to meet people to work with.  Then of
course you make lots of connections so that you can get work
afterwards thru that network.  All of this can definitely be done
outside of grad school, grad school just makes it easier.  But I
think I have more respect for the people who do it outside of grad
school, or something like that...

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.