[PD] some macro ideas

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 31 15:12:05 CET 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 04:03:38AM +0100, padawan12 wrote:
>> Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
>>> make "wrapper abstractions": I don't change the abstraction itself,
>>> but put it inside another abstraction which adds some functionality:
>> You know, on reflection this whole debate is best described as "encapsulation"
> To me it actually sounds like what you guys want is the Pd equivalent
> of inheritance and the overriding of methods. You want an abstraction
> which has some basic behaviour, but you also want the ability to keep
> version control (merging, etc.) of patches.

What I thought that inheritance would mean in Pd, is simply some kind of
nesting of one objectbox which would share the same $0 as the parent; and
some kind of inheritance hierarchy, preferably something in the style of
CLOS and Ruby (linearized multiple inheritance).

The overriding of specific methods would be done only through the use of
[route]. For this kind of thing, though, GridFlow's [route2] could be
helping a bit, else one may have to do [list prepend] and [list trim] a
lot in order to undo what [route] does to messages. ([route2] does the
same routing but without changing the messaages)