[PD] Send array values through OSC

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 4 09:16:00 CET 2006

Jerome Tuncer wrote:
> Hi padawan12
>
> padawan12 a écrit :
>> I've only played with OSC a little, but some things that come to mind:
>>
>> 1) OSC lets you pack things into "bundles" and it might be better to
>> use blocks of 32 or 64 values rather than sending each one individually.
>> That way your packet overhead is smaller.
>>

> I didn't dig very much much into what OSC bundles were all about but it
> seems to me that it looks more like something to send messages to
> multiple destinations at the same time than to send multiple values to
> only one dest. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

i am happy to correct you here.
OSC bundles are about logical time: each message in an OSC bundle will
be at received at the same logical time (bundles have time stamps,
messages don't).
it has nothing to do with broadcasting or the like.

however i doubt whether bundles make so much sense here: i would just
send "raw" data over the link (a list of floats you want to display;
probably 2 lists, if you want an xy-scope), instead of sending x,y-pairs
in separate messages (just think of all the OSC-selectors you will have
to send with no additional information)

another idea would be to use audio directly via some audio-routing
framework (jack)....

mfga.sdr
IOhannes